Technical Consultant developing Manifesto (Closed)
Position Title: Technical consultant for developing Manifesto
Job Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
No. of Job: 1
Employment type: part-time and /or home-based
Contract duration: 30 working days
Closing date: 05 September, 2017
Vacancy #: 18
About the project:
Women & Children Legal Research foundation (WCLRF), is the implementing partner of HBS in this project, was established in March 2003. WCLRF is focused in the area of research, advocacy and raising awareness with the aim of reducing violence against women and improving their skills and knowledge for equal social and political participation both at local and national levels. So far, WCLRF’s activities are covering provinces of Kabul, Parwan, Balkh, Badakhshan, Herat, Kandahar and Nangarhar both urban and rural area and planning to expand its presence in other provinces of the country. WCLRF has its main office in Kabul and two sub-offices in Balkh and Nangarhar.
Based on the Project Cooperation Agreement between WCLRF and HBS, WCLRF has the direct implementation responsibilities of this project in four provinces (Kabul, Ghazni, Nangarhar and Parwan) in the main areas of (delivering workshop on peace-building and conflict resolution, advocating for women’s meaningful inclusion in the peace processes and developing a manifesto on women’s peace, security and political participation).
This announcement aims to recruit one consultant to “Women’s participation in Peace building process” project to be in charge of developing a manifesto on women’s peace, security and political participation. The manifesto intends to function as advocacy tools for candidates of the upcoming parliamentary elections through which different topics must be developed in favor of women’s participation in the peace process. This manifesto shares the thoughts, hopes, expectations and fears of women in regard to the peace processes and their vision for a peaceful Afghanistan. In so doing it aims to: a) ensure the authentic voices of women are being heard by political actors, donors, civil society and the wider public; b) demonstrate that women have equal influence on peace-building settings, negotiations and discourses, and grasp the wider development issues at stake and make a useful contribution to the processes; c) counter the negative discourse around women’s engagement in peace processes and political participation; and d) bring together like-minded parliament members to support the cause in the upcoming national assembly agenda. The manifesto will comprise of two aspects, a) theory and b) practical application of the aforesaid issues in polices and practice through using adult centered method in the most effective way.
Duties and responsibilities:
A technical consultant (part time mainly home-based) will be closely working with the project team and will fulfill the following timely and effectively:
- Develop a manifesto in close coordination with the project team and get advisory support from WCLRF’s executive director;
- Conduct a literature review on the given topic;
- Develop questionnaire for the intended interviewee group/s;
- Conduct in-depth interview with peace specialists, and other institutions and /or individuals engaged with women, peace and security issues;
- Research and collect relevant materials and review relevant manifestos for compilation;
- Share the first draft of manifesto with WCLRF for comments and inputs for further enrichment and improvement;
- Review and address the comments of WCLRF on the manifesto to finalize them accordingly;
- An exemplary manifesto’s first draft developed including (finalized outline, design, methodology), PowerPoint presentations; within three weeks
- Questionnaires developed and shared with project team within one week;
- Final manifesto draft produced within two weeks.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- knowledge and experience with legal, peace and security institutions;
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral
- Understanding women, peace-building and conflict resolution;
Required Skills and Experiences:
- A least 7 years of experience of developing women’s rights issues;
- Understand the social, cultural, and political context of Afghanistan and its impact on women and girls;
- An understanding of the legal, social, cultural, political and economic context of Afghanistan and its relation to gender;
- Demonstrated experience in leading trainings/training of trainers on different topics
- Proficiency in the use of computer, office software packages.
- Familiar with National Action Plan for UN-1325 resolution.
Required experience and qualification:
- Master degree with 3 years of relevant work experience in the field of law and political sciences, sharia, gender and human rights highly preferred / Bachelor’s degree with minimum 7 years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge and experiences in drafting policies and legal documents
- Fluent in English, knowledge of local languages is an asset
- Have a proven track record of empowering women and girls.
Note: the applicant is required to submit a budget proposal for the course of the work
Submission of Applications:
Interested applicants should send their applications to the following email address:
- Contact Number: 0700649191
- Please specify your vacancy number and job title in subject line of your CV.
All applicants must submit the following documents/ information to demonstrate their qualifications:
Cover letter: Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work and how they propose to implement this assignment;